June 24, 2024, 06:34:21 AM

Author Topic: snapped the belt..  (Read 2590 times)

Offline vanillagorilla

snapped the belt..
« on: March 19, 2012, 03:11:58 PM »
I should have waited on the torque tube.

As far as I know, belt tension was right. Not sure if it matters but I also applied silicone spray twice - once when it was first built and again at round 4 flights. I had about 23 flights on it and always heard the 'belt slap' during funnels and tic tocs/rainbows....but thought it was normal.

Was doing to pretty hard stops/rainbows when I lost the tail -saw the belt fly out of the boom right before it hit.

Haven't gone through it yet, but the electo's seem ok, main frames survived, usual suspects are bent/destroyed (ralph's titanium turnbuckles didn't even bend). One of the 6s packs is majorly taco'd - the other appears ok. Boom sheared right off. Canopy almost shattered in two. Recessing the jive was a good idea - not that I know for sure it would have been damaged, but glad to have some extra protection. Overall, for how hard it hit, it did pretty well - the core and main frames are solid.

No more belts for me (at least not on this heli)  :-\

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Tommy Wagner

• Field Representative
snapped the belt..
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 03:28:12 PM »
I should have waited on the torque tube.

As far as I know, belt tension was right. Not sure if it matters but I also applied silicone spray twice - once when it was first built and again at round 4 flights. I had about 23 flights on it and always heard the 'belt slap' during funnels and tic tocs/rainbows....but thought it was normal.

Was doing to pretty hard stops/rainbows when I lost the tail -saw the belt fly out of the boom right before it hit.

Haven't gone through it yet, but the electo's seem ok, main frames survived, usual suspects are bent/destroyed (ralph's titanium turnbuckles didn't even bend). One of the 6s packs is majorly taco'd - the other appears ok. Boom sheared right off. Canopy almost shattered in two. Recessing the jive was a good idea - not that I know for sure it would have been damaged, but glad to have some extra protection. Overall, for how hard it hit, it did pretty well - the core and main frames are solid.

No more belts for me (at least not on this heli)  :-\

Don't think there should be any belt slapping did you ever adjust the belt for stretch? After about ten flights I had to readjust the belt.

Tommy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline vanillagorilla

Re: snapped the belt..
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 03:35:28 PM »
Yes, readjusted twice.  Even tried it 'on the tight side' and 'on the loose side' - could always hear the belt hitting the boom during certain maneuvers.  From what I gather, the belt is fine on the e6 - many reports of belt slap/noise/problems on e7. 

Offline Jean-Luc Bolduc

• Field Representative
  • Synergy Veteran
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 08:08:00 PM »
Sorry for your loss. Was the belt tensioner pulley spinning free at the back ? Any tightening of the tail case bolt will cause to bind the pulley and burn the belt backing. This may weaken the belt.
Team Synergy

Offline AaronJohnson

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 09:49:13 PM »
Another thing, when setting your tail limits for right pitch, you want to leave about 4mm between the slider and tail box.  If you don't the tail can and will stall in certain moves and can cause belt skipping and slapping.  This could also be a cause of failure.
Synergy/Rail Blades
Futaba
Byron Rotor Rage
OS Engines
Hatori
Thunderpower RC
Experience RC

Offline vanillagorilla

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 08:29:56 AM »
Another thing, when setting your tail limits for right pitch, you want to leave about 4mm between the slider and tail box.  If you don't the tail can and will stall in certain moves and can cause belt skipping and slapping.  This could also be a cause of failure.

Yep, I left 4-5mm gap.

Offline Jamin_00

snapped the belt..
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 01:35:48 AM »
Yes, readjusted twice.  Even tried it 'on the tight side' and 'on the loose side' - could always hear the belt hitting the boom during certain maneuvers.  From what I gather, the belt is fine on the e6 - many reports of belt slap/noise/problems on e7.

I had it too on my E7.

On certain moves it would slap and it was as tight as I dare go with it as the tension seemed right according to methods posted to get correct tension. I was concerned with it snapping from a couple of reports on this.

I don't fly hard btw :)
Ben

Synergy E7 -  Kontronik 700-45, Kontronik 80HV
Srimok Faifa - Kontronik 700-52, Kontronik 120HV
Outrage Fusion - Scorpion 4035-500, Kontronik 80HV
Trex 500EFL Pro - Scorpion something, Kontronik Koby 90a