September 28, 2024, 01:12:08 PM

Author Topic: Tail hesitates and wips around in piros during forward flight  (Read 1311 times)

Offline mikejr718

Tail hesitates and wips around in piros during forward flight
« on: August 08, 2012, 11:05:54 AM »
I have an E7 equipped with vbar and hobbywing esc, align 700mx motor bls251 on tail. Running 2000 headspeed. I have moved up from 105 rail tail blades to cy110 tail blades in an attempt to get the tail to work better. Running logo 600se tail belt(no tt yet). Vbar gov.
I have taken the tail apart and packed thrust bearings. I have set the tail slider up so there is a 4mm gap between it and the bearing at full throw. I have tried going closer to the bearing with the slider  but all it did was make a lot of noise.

I am struggling to get the tail to perform as well as my 700e and logo 600. With the rail 105 tail blades I could not get the tail to hold in collective punch outs (12.5 degrees pitch) it would slowly piro and climb.  In forward flight clockwise piros stall at about 90 degrees then whip around and overshoot when stopping. Ccw piros get around ok but the piro speed is not constant. I put the cy110 tail blades  on and it helped some but it's still not great. I flew my 700e this morning right after my e7 with the same headspeed and stock 105 tails and it was able to hold good on punch out and it was able to piro very consistently both ways when flying at the same speed as the e7.

I have good vibration levels in the vbar log. Vbar endpoints for tail are at 92.  The e7 has a slightly higher tail ratio than the 700e so I would expect as good or better tail performance. 

It flies great I just want to trust the tail more.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 09:53:44 AM by mikejr718 »

Offline RyanW

Re: Tail hesitates and wips around in piros during forward flight
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 12:38:45 PM »
I have a similar set up on my E7 with the V-Bar and BLS251 on it. I also had the Logo SE belt before changing to the torque tube. I was in the 1900~1950 head speed (still am). I didn't have good results until I went to the 110mm blades with that headspeed.

Let me check my V-Bar settings this evening and we can compare notes. After I went to the larger tail blades it did pretty good with the set up.

Out of curiosity, where are you located?

Thanks,
-Ryan
-Ryan

Offline stevehof

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 01:03:45 PM »
Make sure the set screws on the rear tail pulley are tight and IN the detents on the shaft. The belt needs to be a bit tighter than most belt set ups. The drill is to load the ship with batteries and then use your finger mid span on the belt just in front of the rear pulley to lift the tail. There should be only about 2mm deflection. I used the SE belt and Vbar for about 60 flights before converting to TT. Worked just fine with plenty of tail control. I do run 110 tail blades since I like 2000 to 2050 these days.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 01:07:12 PM by stevehof »

Offline mikejr718

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 01:58:17 PM »
I am in Omaha,ne.