May 21, 2024, 08:00:52 PM

Author Topic: My first Synergy... the N7 build!  (Read 21663 times)

Offline Mike Spano

• Synergy Hero
Re: My first Synergy... the N7 build!
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2015, 08:57:37 AM »
The next time i can get out, weather permitting, I'll have someone shoot some video for me! ;D

Great story thanks for sharing!

I hope I didn't bore you too much! I can get a little "winded" when I'm excited about a new heli...trying to share my experiences as it happened.

we all can! i love it!!!
Team Synergy
Rail Blades
TRM Power
Team Byron Fuels
MKS Servos

Offline rcnut

« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2015, 01:50:52 PM »
With the weather like it is (super cold with blowing winds, heavy overcast, with threatening snow showers), I' might have to wait until B-Ham to get any flying in!!!

Then again, you may not want me to come down! I just might pull all this nasty cold weather with me...LoL! I'll dress warm just in case...LoL!
I love the smell of Nitro in the morning!

Offline Mike Spano

• Synergy Hero
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2015, 02:29:59 PM »
i have been begging for snow for months. i love snow, we just never get enough to actually enjoy. we are supposed to get 6-8" tomorrow, lets hope it happens!
Team Synergy
Rail Blades
TRM Power
Team Byron Fuels
MKS Servos

Offline rcnut

« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2015, 07:31:09 AM »
Carefull what you wish for...you just might get it! Speaking of getting it...your state has a winter storm warning! At least that is what the radio was saying. Up to a foot of snow! Here in Northern Illinois, we're looking at 3-6 inches from 4:00 PM to morning.

"Oh the weather outside is frightful, but the fire is so delightful, and since we have no place to go...Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!"

Good luck buddy! Enjoy the snow while it lasts...and then get rid of the crap before the fun fly!!!!! LoL!

N7 update:

I dropped the cyclic gain some and decreased the tail expo. Then I checked the blade tracking, it is off by -0.3 degrees. Now its off by +0.1 degree. So my heli is ready for another test flight! This may happen this Saturday (20 degrees with 11 mph winds, and mostly sunny), and or Monday (32 degrees with 8 mph winds, and partly sunny).
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 07:37:08 AM by rcnut »

Offline Mike Spano

• Synergy Hero
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2015, 08:10:02 AM »
yes sir, just sitting here waiting on it now! the entire city is shut down, all except my office anyway....hahaha....we are right on the line of 4-6" and 1-3", so lets just hope we get enough to enjoy. my kids love the snow, but i think i may actually love it even more. i will be outside making a snow man with a lanyard around its neck looking like its flying a heli, and they will be cold and watching through the window....haha
Team Synergy
Rail Blades
TRM Power
Team Byron Fuels
MKS Servos

Offline rcnut

« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2015, 06:14:50 PM »
So Mike…how much snow did you get??? ;D

N7 Update

Ok, I was able to get 2 more flights in on my N7 yesterday (Saturday). The first flight was fantastic! Boy this heli can fly!!! ;D It feels a lot like my KDS Agile 7.2, light and fast!!!!    I like it! The second flight was a bit uncomfortable. Something, somewhere in the programming (of the Spartan Vortex) is driving me nuts!

Here is what it is doing; normal mode, the heli flys fine. Idle up 1, the heli cocks to the left as if I moved the aileron trim that way. In idle up 2, it cocks to the right? My second Goblin gasser (with the Spartan Vortex) does the same thing only with the elevator. I don't get it. I did manage to get to stop when switching into idle up 1&2. In normal mode, I would climb, making the motor RPM go up to match that of idle 1, and then I would switch into idle 1 and then 2. Then it flys fine! Not sure what to make of all this!

Also, I'm not liking the OS bubbleless clunk, it doesn't seem to pickup the last 1/4 inch of fuel in the tank. It will take a little time to get this heli wrung out. In the meantime, it an awesome flying heli! Did I say it feels a lot like my Agile 7.2, but better?

Offline Mike Spano

• Synergy Hero
« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2015, 08:12:50 AM »
we got 1.5", it was not much, but if was pretty. just about 10 miles north of us they got 11.5"....lol....we just barley missed it.

trash that OS clunk and get a Lynx MOAS clunk. that OS clunk is a paperweight IMO. i also do not like the standard fuel magnet, they do not last long enough, even when running a regulated motor you are replacing them every few months... :-\ the Lynx MOAS clunk has been perfect, it looks just like our Stens clunks in our gassers.....
Team Synergy
Rail Blades
TRM Power
Team Byron Fuels
MKS Servos

Offline rcnut

« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2015, 07:25:50 PM »
Ok, the weather is soon to change and I will try to figure out what's going on with my N7. I've tried asking for help with the programming on other sites and even personal emails with no replies…so I'll do this myself. First up I'll look into the cyclic gain. Possibly this setting might be too high as when I switch into idle up 1 or 2, the sudden torque causes the FBL controller to compensate with a sub trim adjustment.

Also, I'll look into adjusting the time it takes to change speed from idle 1&2. Now for the collective pitch response…it is a lot faster than what I'l used to. Checking into what others have set the +/- range to, might be the key to the overly sensitivity. Meaning, the more +/- pitch, the more sensitive the pitch becomes…range resolution. Right now, I have a +/-13 degree range. This may be too much…with 715mm blades. So I will drop the pitch range to +/-11 degrees and see how that feels.

So that's the game plan for some much needed warmer weather! And not to mention the B-Ham fun fly coming up!

Offline Mike Spano

• Synergy Hero
« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2015, 08:33:49 AM »
this heli has very fast collective response due to the very light weight. i would also try to run 696mm blades on this heli. every time i transition to this heli, i will have to basically re-learn my collective for tick tocs, and then the stopping on fast hard rainbows, bc the heli will literally shoot off compared to my others....if you dont mind, i will pass your contact info (cell phone) along to my buddy Steve who is very good with the spartan, he may be able to help you.....let me know if you mind or not please....
Team Synergy
Rail Blades
TRM Power
Team Byron Fuels
MKS Servos

Offline rcnut

« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2015, 08:41:58 AM »
By all means Mike, please do!

Offline rcnut

« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2015, 10:27:53 AM »
I've made a few changes in the VX1n. First, I dropped the collective range to +/-11 degrees. Second, I dropped the idle 1&2 50 rpm's, so now its 1900 and 2000. Then I reduced the expo on the tail hoping to get a faster tail response. And, I increased the tail gain as I noticed it was a bit mushy. I also dropped the cyclic gain by 2 points.

So now its set and ready for a test flight!Hoping to go out this afternoon, the weather is supposed to be nice…we shall see! ;D

Offline Mike Spano

• Synergy Hero
« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2015, 02:11:27 PM »
Standard hs for the n7 is 1750, 1850, and 1950 to keep the 105 in its happy place. I have run mine up to 2100 and 2150. She fly's like an animal but not happy. 2000-2050 would be tops. It doesn't need that high hs as light and efficient with the gear ratio is has. 1950 does me great other than piro loops, BC I am a right ruder guy on them, and right rudder loads up a little more....
Team Synergy
Rail Blades
TRM Power
Team Byron Fuels
MKS Servos

Offline rcnut

« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2015, 08:40:00 AM »
So with Mark on vacation in the Florida Keys...it was time to fix my stuff. With that said...

I started out with the Rave in the hopes that bearing noise was finally gone. It was! And...Oh the horror! I ordered a new bearing set for my O.S.105HZ from RCBearings (good thing I did!). When I removed the main bearing, it became obvious as to where all the noise was coming from! The main bearing was totally shot. Heavy pitting all around the inner race, and some on the outer. It was the inner that was giving me the noise issues. Had I continued to run the motor that way, it would be a matter of a few more flights, and "bam," time to order a new motor!!! :(

Now my Rave is purring like it should. I put 3 flights on it, and boy was that ever a treat! I need to do a little tweaking with the collective pitch, as the plus side seems weak, and possibly a bit more aileron response. Other than that, its good to go!

Next up was my new Synergy N7. Ok, it is still a nightmare to fly, but I think I figured what's going on with this heli! Its in the links! They are so tight that the Spartan Vortex VX1n controller is having an issue with it. At first I thought it was the cyclic gain being too high…nope. Then I thought I had dialed in some "sub trim" in the menu…nope. And I thought the aileron tilt problem was only in idle up 1&2…and again, nope, that wasn't it.

So with no distractions and spectators watching…its time to figure out this problem I'm having, once and for all! Well, actually there were 3 people watching somewhat. A mother and her two children were walking the school grounds and would walk past me…from time to time, but not just standing there to watch me fly!

First flight, I lifted the N7 off the ground and placed it into a hover. I let it sit there a bit to watch it. Then I moved the aileron stick a little to the left and right quickly to see how it would react. It seemed to be fine, but then it started to happen…it twitched all by itself to the left, ok… I flew it around the field a couple of times to see how it would respond. A couple of times it moved itself to the left, and I would correct it. Then I tried idle up 1, it didn't move when I switched into idle 1.  ;D

Ok, so a couple of more laps around the field. Everything seemed good for the time being, but it didn't take long for it to start acting up and making aggressive moves all by itself! Wow, this is interesting! I tried idle 2 and it seemed to settle down some. So a few more laps around followed by some hammer head turns. However, the rudder is responding better! A couple of aileron rolls, and WATCH OUT! Man those are lightning fast!!! Ok, mental note, turn down the aileron roll rate!  :o

One more lap around and oh, oh! The clutch let go! I know that feeling all to well. Ok, switched into throttle hold and head back towards me. However, it became a battle with the ailerons as the VX1n controller wanted to over command the ailerons...the dreaded roll over! Oh no you don't! I managed to fight it quickly without panicking (but lost head speed in the process), switched into normal mode and switched out of throttle hold (all this in a blink of an eye...muscle memory at this point!). Thankfully the clutch caught and began spooling the rotor head back up in time to avoid smacking into the ground…saved it! :P

I brought the throttle to idle and let it sit for a moment, then throttled up and returned the heli close to where I was standing. As it was hovering, that's when I noticed the swashplate seemingly fighting the tightness of the links. I experienced this before with a newly built heli, but it normally goes away in a few flights…not this one! Because of the cold weather, it would take many flights to break them in. The warmer/hotter weather would have made this task faster as the plastic links would have stretched some, or just enough. Then with many more flights, the exhaust gasses would have acted as fine sandpaper (a rubbing compound) and formed them to the balls. Well, that's my thought on this subject.

I also noticed, through the mist of everything else, the collective pitch sensitivity has changed quite a bit. I set the total pitch range to +/-11 degrees, now it feels a bit sluggish. Ok, so I'll set it to +/-12 degrees. The 11 degrees made a difference in the collective "pop" feel, it did change the resolution of the pitch range. The collective stick is no longer touchy!

So later today and after 4 flights, I popped all the links off and ran the Botos link sizer through them again. This time making sure they are a lot smoother. However, I found that I damaged the large sized link ball with my link tool/pliers. It flattened the cutting surface some...great! NOT! Ok... Ah, umm, not sure if this will work...but I tried the heat method. I snapped the link sizer in the link and used my Bic lighter to lightly warm the link. 3 fast passes with the flame and several turns both direction...whoa la, almost perfect!

My N7 is ready for yet, another flight!

Offline rcnut

« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2015, 02:20:44 PM »
Today is the day! The weather is in the 50's and the winds are 0-5 mph!!! Not a cloud in the sky for a change.

Offline rcnut

« Reply #59 on: March 12, 2015, 07:12:11 AM »
I tried the N7 first as I was hoping the problem was fixed...well it isn't! >:( With the links looser than before, it has become very evident it is the VX1n controller messing up! I even dropped the cyclic gain to 40, from 50 factory set. So tonight I will reset the controller, re-flash (software update) both data pod and controller, and try it again! If it doesn't work that time around...I have a spare AR7200BX that I will use and then see what happens!!! Chances are it will fly just fine!